venerdì 14 maggio 2010

I always wanted to become a...

How have you started your career? Have you always known what you wanted to be? Have you tried different paths before finding your very own?

Personally I have always lived in a hotel as part of the managing family. Helping out was never a problem. Washing some dishes (that was fun, you should try it!), a bit of filing and helping here and there. Until one day I was ordered to the Reception!
Staff shortage.. You all know what I'm talking of. That's why one day I had to put on my suit, shirt and a tie and went to work at 7 am. What an ungodly hour!
My career moved at the speed of light! After only 3 months I was responsible of the reception. The staff shortage had just become a staff disappearance! Basically the work schedule was like this:
morning shift: me
late shift: my 22 year old cousin
night shift: another poor soul
Of course when we had many arrivals or departures we worked a few extra hours or work a double shifft. But help was on its way! A 19 year old intern...
This period lasted for a bit more than a month. But how did we end up in this situation? Very easy. One day a new receptionist had to start but never showed up while on the same day a girl quit. Actually she asked for holidays and when she didn't get them she ran away. She even left all her clothes at the hotel. I wonder who was chasing her. But that's a different story...

It was fun in a way and I must say that I learned a lot. Over here they say that if your in shit up to your neck, you will learn how to swim. They must be right!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento