mercoledì 5 maggio 2010

Saving money

Yes, yes, we're still in a deep crisis. Or so they say.
Looking around though you can see that people have started acting weired. They would do anything to save a penny. Well almost. This is just one example that happened to me:
I was working at the reception of a 5 star hotel during a lazy afternoon when I looked up from my computer and saw a couple in front of me. Behind them one kid. No, there were two of them. Ehh...where did the third one come from? Presumably from the same place the forth one was coming. I wasn't aware of this check in. I had some single rooms arriving and some double rooms, but this??? I immediately started to do what all professionals do in this situation: sweat, look for an excuse for the missing reservation and sending very bad thoughts to our Reservation Manager. Of course at the same time I was politely smiling and welcoming our guests.
Then they told me their name. Hang on, I knew this name. I had it on my arrivals list! Good, then I only mis-read the roomtype! Immediately the sweating stopped and the apologies to our excellent Reservation Manager started.
But I let out my sigh of relief too soon. The computer said: 1 twin room
I decided I would just point that out to the guest and see what would happen. To my amazement, Mrs Guest (who was quite large) confirmed this, while Mr Guest (even larger) asked if maybe we could change that to a double bed. You know, he said, it's more comfortable. And the children I asked? They will sleep with us in the same bed of course.
Of course! What could I do at that point? I used another well known and always effective trick of the Receptionist trade and let my jaw drop to the ground while collecting my thoughts and ask myself if I had some problems with my ears.
I dared to ask if we should open the sofa bed for a small supplement, but i was shushed by a simple question: What would they need that for?
That was when I decided to admit my defeat in understanding some people and gave them the keys to their room. I looked after them as they walked over to the elevator happy as can be. Guys, they didn't even all fit in the elevator!!!
What can we do? We are in a crisis and we need to save money. But luckily this leads sometimes to funny situations and a good laugh is worth a lot of money!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento